Jamie de Villiers comes out on top at The Ballito Pro Skate Jam 2022
The best local groms and pros took to the Ballito Bowl on Friday, 1 July in the hopes of taking the top spot at the Ballito Pro Skate Jam presented by Volcom, Fallen & Groundswell Skate & Surf. Many tricks were displayed and prizes were won, but in the end, it was Durban North’s Jamie de Villiers who took home the main prize in the Open Division.
“I think it was a very well-organised event with a really great turnout,” commented De Villiers after his win. “I think they did an amazing job of making everyone feel rewarded for their hard work. The hosts created a good vibe for the crowd which really hyped us skaters up and pushed us to skate harder. I’m really stoked with my win – it’s my first time winning a bowl competition and I ‘m really amped for next year’s event!”
Paul Canning, event organiser, commented: “On behalf of Volcom and Fallen Footwear, we’re really proud to be a part of the Ballito Pro Skate Jam again this year. The inaugural event last year was a massive success and this year has been even better. It’s an event that we see growing and becoming a bigger part of The Ballito Pro year-on-year.
“It’s just so amazing to see the community support of the event in the U16 Groms Division and great to see some of the top South African skaters coming out in the Pro Division. I’d like to thank Monster Energy for all their event support, as well as Groundswell Skate & Surf for coming on board this year. We look forward to growing the event and getting bigger and better in 2023.”
The Ballito Pro Skate Jam 2022 results
Groms (U16) Division
Each winner of the Groms Division took home a Volcom hamper worth R2 500; with 2nd place contestants earning a Volcom hamper valued at R2 000, and 3rd place taking home a Volcom hamper valued at R1 500.
Boys’ Division: Ezra Vosloo (1st), Miguel Marais (2nd), Yann Whalley (3rd).
Girls’ Division: Jessica Louw (1st), Caetlyn King (2nd), Molly Asiphe (3rd).
Jamie de Villiers took the top spot in this division, winning a cash prize of R7 500, with Murray Sharp and Josh Beukes sharing the Best Trick cash prize of R2 500 – all sponsored by Volcom.
Jamie Charlton-Jones took home The Bravery Award while Joshua Falkner was awarded Local Ripper, both receiving Fallen Footwear hampers valued at R1 500 each.
The Ballito Pro 2022 Festival
This captivating event forms part of The Ballito Pro, presented by O’Neill festival programme, which is running alongside the surfing contest, taking place at KwaDukuza from 29 June to 10 July. Some of the entertainment, retail and music offerings to look forward to include:
- The Groundswell Surf & Skate relaunch on 3 July from 6pm at the Ballito Steps with prizes and giveaways.
- Daily beach action at Willard Beach from 9am to 5pm including sunrise yoga, beach sports, Jive with Jen and fashion shows.
- Retail delight at Willard Beach from 9am to 5pm featuring arts, crafts, a food court, cider garden, the Oakley Pop Up, Surfboard displays and Shaping Pop Ups.
- Kids’ Corner at Willard Beach from 9am to 5pm with water balls, sandcastle building and more.
- The Ballito Pro Free Music Concerts at Salmon Bay on 7 and 8 July featuing Q Twins, Daliwonga, Majozi, Desmond & The Tutus, Kyle Cassim, Freddy L, Black Lapels, Yo Grapes and more!
- After Dark programmes including DJs at The Concilla Tapas Lounge & Bar; The Good Vibes programme; The Ekasi Experience Battle of the DJs; and Ballito Village Vibes.
- The National Nurdle Clean-up Competition, organised by Litter4Tokens, with great prizes to be won! Visit www.litter4tokens.co.za.
- Share ocean sustainability stories for the #WeAreOneOcean campaign, running through WSL Pure. Remember to tag @wsl on social media.
- Breathe Conservation’s Snorkel Day and Guided Walk on Sunday, 3 July at 7.15am at Willard Beach. Bookings essential through Elzanne on 073 821 0426.
The festival programme runs alongside the world’s longest running professional surfing event which is welcoming the return of international surfing with the O’Neill SMTH Shapes Ballito Pro Junior, World Surf League (WSL) Ballito Pro Presented by O’Neill Trials and Ballito Pro Presented by O’Neill Challenger Series (CS) for men and women. Visitors can also check out the up-and-coming surfers during the O’Neill KZN High School League and the Sea Harvest SSA/Ilembe Development Tag Team contests taking place on Thursday, 30 June.
Watch The Challenger Series broadcast LIVE on WorldSurfLeague.com, the free WSL app, and the WSL’s YouTube channel.
Don’t miss any of the action
The Ballito Pro will be live on People’sWeather (DStv Ch-180 and Openview Ch-115) from 7 to 10 July at 11am daily.
To find out more about The Ballito Pro presented by O’Neill festival programme, visit:
Snapchat: Username – TheBallitoPro
The Ballito Pro presented by O’Neill festival is sponsored by North Coast Courier, Zigzag and People’sWeather.
Please note: All applicable COVID-19 related government guidelines and restrictions will be adhered to.